Thursday, January 9, 2014

Landed

Well, this trip has been quite an adventure already, but I am now ending my first day in Scotland.

After landing in Dublin, we were put onto a bus in the freezing cold, and then driven to a tiny propellor plane. It was actually pretty cool. We flew really low so you could see the lights of the cities during the whole flight.

When we landed in Scotland, all of our baggage had arrived with us (thank goodness).

Here is where it gets interesting:

We got a rental car, but they are super different here. Obviously they drive on the left side of the road, but the driver is also on the right side of the car. It is completely backwards! The gear shift is also on the steering wheel like a windshield wiper….

The guy at the rental place put the postal code in wrong, and we ended up in the wrong part of Edinburgh (They use postal codes as a section of a street instead of like a zip code in America). Add that to sleep deprivation and the weird driving situation and you get a pretty messy scenario. My dad did a great job handling it though, because I actually would have been screaming.

Eventually we flagged down a cab (Doug was very nice) and followed him to the hotel. He said it wasn't the strangest thing he had ever done -- apparently once he had to deliver fifteen prosthetic testicles… so that was weird.

I slept pretty much all day once we got to the Radisson, then we had dinner at a pub along the Royal Mile. We also did a little bit of shopping for my flat, and I got a sim card so I can use my phone. I have a UK number, so I'm super snazzy.

Good night America!


No comments:

Post a Comment